Monday, December 22, 2008

No Escape

I was driving home from work a couple of days ago - having worked hard all day polishing my leather and pricing my portfolios, when the 6pm news came onto Radio 4.

Bearing in mind that this is the National news, I was somewhat irritated to hear my friends at Oxfam getting the following 2 minute news item.

Apparently a shop managed to sell a copy of Sylvia Plath's "Ariel" for £350. After a discussion about the bookshop, there were quotes from Oxfam saying how this was a vast amount of money and would do a tremendous amount of good for the poor of the world.

Quite apart for the tiny percentage of this that will get anywhere near any needy recipient - since when did the sale of a £350 book make the main National news of the day ? I wish I had their marketing and PR department - no wonder it costs them 15% of charity income.

1 comment:

60GoingOn16 said...

I have just discovered your wonderful blog through We Three, Ginger Cats' Tales. My late mother worked for many years in a bookshop and I could almost hear her laughing out there in the Great Beyond at your stories. I'm sure she would have sympathised with you at the inanity of so many of those requests. As for me, wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry.