Sunday, April 26, 2009

Careers Advice

A big thank you to the manager of my local Oxfam Bookshop.

He knows about my book auction in May, and kindly suggested that if this goes well, perhaps I could give up the bookshop, and just concentrate on auctions to make a living that way. After all - there is no way I can compete with with Oxfam.

He didn't mean this maliciously, in fact, I believe he meant it kindly, but I still don't respond particularly well to the person who is bankrupting me giving me careers advice. Oh yes - I ranted !

3 comments:

Rachel Green said...

Oh dear! I'm sorry. It's such a shame when a bookshop closes let alone when the charity shop forces them to do it.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Edward sends sincere greetings. He loves to be read to.

Shammickite said...

I've been browsing through your previous posts about life in a used bookshop, and I am amazed at the stories of some of the people who have visited your shop. I know everyone likes to find a bargain, but honestly! Unbelievable! I lcan spend hours browsing through bookshops, although I have to admit I don't always buy something, but I would never have the utter cheek to demand some of the discounts that you write about.
I hope you are able to stay open, bookshops are such jewels.