Monday, December 11, 2006

A tempting offer

I received a phone call today.
Chap had been into the shop and had a good look around, and decided to offer to sell me some books
So having seen the shop - he has little excuse..

He asks me if i was interested in buying some management and marketing books. When I declined, he told me that these can fetch some very high prices and I am a fool to pass them up.

Then he asks me about paperbacks - all around 20 to 30 years old. I replied that I couldn't pay much for these, as I sold them for about £1 - £1.50. He decided it wasn't worth selling me those then!

In passing, he told me that he was, of course, selling all his good books to London dealers as complete libraries (Guaranteed to make me feel favourably towards him!) and he wanted to know what sort of books I did bother to buy then. On my replying that I would be interested in high quality and antiquarian books, he asked me if I would purchase some biographies from him.

When I tried to pursue idea of the "good books" he told me that he wouldn't sell those to me, as otherwise he would never get rid of the rest of the rubbish !

I was good..... I didn't swear.......... I just quietly hung up the phone and stomped around the shop for a while sobbing gently into my coffee.

1 comment:

Arcarhia said...

Ah aren't you good.